Saturday, May 24, 2014

Dürnstein has been one of the highlights of our trip. About an hour outside of Vienna by train, Dürnstein is a small town in the Wachau Valley that is known for producing wine.


While that alone would have convinced me to visit, that is not what drew me to Dürnstein. What actually drew me to Dürnstein are the castle ruins overlooking the town that date to the medieval period. 


Normally an Austrian castle would not interest me (at least on paper - one Google image search had me convinced that I was going to Dürnstein), but my interest was piqued because this particular castle rang some bells. 


Right before I began researching places to visit, I finished a historical fiction novel by Sharon Kay Penman (The King's Ransom if anyone would like to check it out. It's the concluding novel of a fabulous series about the early Plantagenets). In the novel, she mentioned Dürnstein quite a few times as Richard I (Richard the Lionheart) was held here after being captured by Duke Leopold of Austria as he was travelling back to the Angevin lands from the Holy Land.

Effigy of Richard I 

While I had come across Dürnstein in other books that I have read, it was fresh in my mind thanks to having finished this novel. After realizing the connection, I knew that I had to visit the ruins and I am so glad that I did. 


As can be seen in the above photograph, the ruins sit on a cliff above Dürnstein and it creates quite a picturesque scene. In addition, there are great views to be had from the ruins itself.


After exploring the ruins, we decided to take a different trail back, which was totally worth it. The trail took us above the ruins, so we were able to see them, and the surrounding landscape, from above. The view was stunning and I am so glad that we took the time to hike up the rocks. 


 Aside from my excitement over the historical significance (at least to me) of Dürnstein, I was also excited to be in a wine valley, so we definitely had some local wine before we boarded the train back to Vienna. 


We decided to go to the Klosterkell which, according to their website, is located in an old monastery cellar. I didn't know that at the time, but it makes sense and makes the place better than it already was. In addition to the great environment, the wine was fabulous! Richard and I even tried a G'Spritzer, which is wine and sparkling water. It is a popular summer drink in Austria and it was pretty refreshing, especially after our hike. 

  
The Klosterkell was a perfect way to end our day in Dürnstein and I am glad that we had the opportunity to visit this area while we were in Vienna. 



No comments:

Post a Comment