Monday, March 31, 2014

While I have a lot that I could be doing currently, I have little motivation to focus on them. Instead, I decided  that I want to write a post about Edinburgh. 

View of Arthur's Seat from the park 

One of our highlights from Edinburgh was Arthur's Seat, which is situated in Holyrood Park. It's a popular park in Edinburgh and it has amazing views of Edinburgh. 

The ruins of Holyrood Abbey which are adjacent to the park 

Arthur's Seat, which is the highest point in the park at 251 meters (according to Google, that is about 820 feet), is the remnants of a dormant volcano.  According to the sites that I visited, and from what I learned in Edinburgh, this volcano formed the land around Edinburgh. Unfortunately, I didn't learn how the hill was named while in Edinburgh, but according to Wikipedia, the hill was named after a reference in the poem Y Gododdin. Y Gododdin, a medieval Welsh poem that remembers old Celtic heroes, references a fort that was on Arthur's Seat and references a soldier named Arthur. Some people believe that this refers to King Arthur, thus the name of the hill. 

Remnants of an old chapel in the park 

The park itself was absolutely amazing. Even though I grew up near the Cuyahoga National Park, which is beautiful, I still found this park to be unbelievable.  To begin with, you don't feel like you are still in Edinburgh when you are in the park. Edinburgh is not an overly crowded city to start with, but being in the park makes you forget that there are buildings nearby (at least until you turn around to admire the view). 


I loved the view though when I did turn around though. As you can imagine being above the city offers amazing views. 

View of Holyrood Palace and Calton Hill

The best views though were from the top of Arthur's Seat. I am happy that we chose to go all the way to the top, even if it was a tad difficult since I was not wearing hiking shoes or tennis shoes. 

Jon and I at the top of Arthur's Seat

View from the top of Arthur's Seat

As I said earlier, Arthur's Seat was one of the highlights of our trip and probably a major factor as to why we loved Edinburgh so much. Visiting Arthur's Seat was a wonderful way to spend our afternoon and really made me appreciate the beauty that Scotland offers. Even though we were only there for two days, this beauty captivated me and I cannot wait to travel back to Scotland to see the rest of the country. 



No comments:

Post a Comment