Monday, February 24, 2014

The Czech Republic has not yet converted their currency to the euro, so Jon and I had to withdraw Czech crowns from an ATM when we arrived in Prague. The Czech Republic is supposed to eventually adopt the euro per their entry term agreements to the EU, but at this time no official date has been set. This is partially due to Czech opposition to the euro, but the Czech Republic also does not meet the economic criteria necessary to join the Eurozone. At any rate, when countries join the EU, they are not given specified deadlines as to when they must meet the criteria to join the Eurozone, so at this time the Czech Republic has not begun the conversion process. 



As you probably noticed, Czech money is not in single and double denominations like the dollar, the euro or the pound. Instead, their smallest bill begins at 100 crowns, which is about 5 dollars. Thank goodness for Jonathan because without him I wouldn't have been able to figure out how much I was spending. I kept telling him that it would have been very easy for me to spend a lot of money in Prague because I wasn't doing the math in my head to figure out how much something cost in either euros or dollars. 

Overall though, I think that we did alright. For anyone interested in going to Prague, we spent about 450 crowns ($22.56) on lunch, which included soup and a dessert for Jon and beer for myself. That really isn't too shabby for a major tourist town. And the portion sizes were decent:


I tried a Czech beer for lunch. I didn't like it as much as some of the beers that I have had here in Germany, but it was still good. 


This was my lunch. It was some type of omelette that was covered in cheese and stuffed with cheese and spinach. The spinach was a bit of an overkill, but it was pretty good. 


Jon tried the duck special. He absolutely loved it. They served it with some type of bread dumpling that was amazing. I think I ate half of his dumpling serving for him.. 

So as you can see, 450 crowns bought us a decent amount of food. Souvenirs seemed as if though they could add up after awhile, but we were also in the areas that had a lot of tourists. All in all, Prague seems to be an affordable city, at least when compared to other major European cities. Of course it has tourist traps and its expensive areas, but if you plan it right you don't have to spend a lot of money. They also had a lot of street vendors that had yummy looking food for inexpensive prices. 

And of course if you end up going to Prague, try a trdelnik. It's a doughy pastry that is covered in cinnamon, sugar, and  nuts and it is absolutely amazing. It is well worth breaking any diet you may be on!



No comments:

Post a Comment